Sunday, August 30, 2015

Goodbye Summer!

Well it looks like my summer is officially over. In approximately 11 1/2 hours I will begin my senior year at Texas A&M and it is bittersweet. The last three years have gone by in the blink of an eye. I'm hoping for an incredible last year at A&M and plan on savoring every moment I have left.

Since today was my last day of "freedom," so to speak, I celebrated in true form - watching a movie from The Book. This was #99, folks. That means the next movie is going to be EPIC because its a big milestone!!

Milestone, or not, each movie I cross off the list is equally significant as its predecessor and what comes after. As you all know, some of these movies I enjoy thoroughly, while others I can barely make it through. Tonight, I'm pleased to say, was the latter. I really liked this one!!

Patton (1970)
I'm a sucker for war movies, what can I say. Especially if they revolve around WWII. I've never understood my fascination with WWII, but it completely entices me. I'm not a history person... I find it interesting, but not memorization and all that. I can tell you some trivial facts, but not many. But there are certain era's (WWII era included) that I just can't get enough of. This is probably one of the reasons I enjoyed this movie.

George C. Scott plays the infamous General Patton. In my opinion, Scott did a wonderful job portraying this controversial general. He was hot-headed, outspoken, but a mighty fine general. Scott echoed all of these traits and more impeccably.

The movie mainly follows Patton in the short period before he takes command of the 3rd Army, and then the time he holds as commander. Patton shows a different side to the general than most people are used to seeing, but it is a nice insight - one Francis Ford Coppola was hoping to show through his script.

If you like war movies, this should be a must see on your list. If you have three hours to kill, this would be an entertaining and informative way to spend it. Overall, I'm giving it 3 1/2 stars.

Until the next movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment