Sunday, September 6, 2015

Ten Percent

Well, I've hit a pretty significant milestone. I have officially watched 100 of the 1001 movies!! It took a while to get there, but I'm confident I will be a little better at watching movies from the book, now that I've added my own Netflix account.

Dance, Girl, Dance (1940)

I could not have picked a more perfect movie to watch as my 100th! This movie had a little bit of everything I love about film. 

First of all, I love movies set in this time period. It was a different age. Women were so much classier, even when they were trashy. Secondly, it was a musical!!! Oh, how I love musicals. OK - maybe it wasn't a full fledged musical, but there was some singing and a lot of dancing. Finally, it starred the late, great, Lucille Ball - one of my all-time favorite actresses.

Dance is about a troupe of dancers who are struggling to find jobs. Their best dancer, Bubbles (Ball) quits the troupe when she gets a solo offer and the other girls continue to look for employment elsewhere. The main character, Judy O'Brien (Maureen O'Hara), is an aspiring ballerina. Bubbles comes back and hires Judy to dance in her new Burlesque show, and that's when things start to get pretty crazy. Love triangles, rowdy men, and some risque dancing ensue.

I loved the movie. I think the story was well-written. There were a few plot points I thought were going to be left unanswered, but everything wraps up in the end. It was just the right mix of drama, music, romance, and comedy. Go watch this film, I'm giving it four stars.

Until the next movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment