Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blahblahblah

Ya'll ready for some book/movie reviews?

Good, 'cause I got lots comin'!

Shall we start with movies?

First... 61 Down 490 To Go!
While I was at my grandma's house in Kerrville, I watched A Streetcar Named Desire, finally. I had only had the disc from Netflix sitting on my BluRay player for the last 4 months. Well... At least I got it over with, because I can't say I enjoyed watching that movie. It was painful to watch. Almost all of the characters are mentally unstable, and they all have so many problems, you just get to a point while watching it that you can't stand to watch anymore of it. I give it 2 stars. My only reasoning to think it would make The Book is that the director, Elia Kazan, has brought so many new faces to the screen that go onto become Hollywood legends. This movie showed the world the Marlon Brando.

I still didn't care for the movie...

Now for a movie I REALLY enjoyed, Midnight In Paris! This was my first Woody Allen movie, and I loved it. 5 stars all around! Such a cute movie. It has Owen Wilson, Kathy Bates, and Rachel McAdams in it, all 3 absolutely wonderful actors and actresses. My only suggestion is this: those of you who do not have an appreciation for literature and art in the early 1900s, specifically the 1920s, you will not enjoy this movie. This is one of those movies that you have to have literary/artistic/poetic appreciation/knowledge, because without it, the movie won't make sense, and therefore becomes less enjoyable. But as a deep appreciator of classics, I fell in love watching this movie.

One of my absolute favorite actresses is Meryl Streep. My goal is to watch all of her movies. I started by adding as many available to my instant queue on Netflix. The first one I've watch so far is called Before and After. It was OK. So I gave it 2 stars. Normally I'm a fan of Liam Neeson, but he played an awful character in this movie. It's about the trial of a boy who was accused of killing his girlfriend. All in all, it couldn't hold my attention, and was a pretty odd movie. Not Meryl Streep's best. I have seen 6 of her 68 movies. Not bad I guess. Here's what I've seen so far.
  • It's Complicated (4 stars)
  • Julie & Julia (4 stars)
  • Mamma Mia! (5 stars)
  • The Devil Wears Prada (5 stars)
  • Lemony Snicket: Unfortunate Events (3 stars)
  • Before and After (2 stars)
Now for the next  movie, try to imagine we live in a perfect world, where everyone says exactly what they are thinking, with no filter, and there is no such thing as a lie. Then one day, some random guy discovers the ability to fudge the truth and "say something that isn't". The Invention of Lying. What a weird movie. The whole movie seemed to mock religion and God, but at the same time, some parts seem to praise Him. Either way, it wasn't my favorite, but it did have a creative story line, so it gets 3 stars.

Last movie for you today! One I had been dying to see for a while now, a favorite to many, include one of my bestest friends in the entire world, Miss Taylor Brown. I'm so glad she suggested watching this movie this morning! Chicago, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones (who played my favorite character in the movie), Renee Zellweger (who graduated from Katy HS, but I can't stand) and Richard Gere (who can't help but love him?). Overall, I really likes this movie. I know most everyone has already seen this movie, but if you haven't, go watch it, what are you waiting for? I like how it had the Burlesque feel I love, and it was set in the 1920s, an era full of creative genius. The whole movie centers around the lives of these women in jail for murdering someone, but the main character, Roxie Hart, wishes to become famous and perform on stage like a cellmate, Velma Kelly, did. Roxie imagines every conversation and situation throughout the movie as a performance on stage, so the movie is full of great song and dance. My favorite number is Cell Block Tango (I already bought it on iTunes). 4 stars for Chicago!

Now that's all for the movies, shall we move on to books?
I promise there aren't as many.

First, progress on my Book Club, I'm having so much fun! Our first meeting was Sunday, and it's so nice to finally be able to talk to people about books that actually read, for one, and appreciate the same parts of literature that I do. I love my friends, but most of them just don't understand the power reading a book has over me. When I read a book or watch a movie, I'm simply doing it for the entertainment pleasures, I am doing it as an escape in some ways. I become part of the movie/book. I am there, experiencing the same feelings and emotions and action that all of the other characters do. Which is probably why I get so emotional... haha

This and so much more is why The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is my second favorite series. Sorry, but I don't think anything will ever be able to trump Harry Potter. The series overall gets 5 stars, but the last book I give 4 because in a way I feel like she got tired of writing and just ended it. But the ending left me with so many questions. I wanted so much more from the last book than I was given. I still think the series should be at the top of everyones "to read" list. If I could capture the power Suzanne Collins has in her writing, I could probably be a best seller too. I don't know if I have ever cried so much while reading a books. Tears of sadness, sorrow, sympathy, depression, joy, and laughter all came from reading that amazing series.

The only other book I have read since was Party by Tom Leeven. This book took me a while to get into, but overall I enjoyed it; 4 stars. My only complain is tat each chapter is in the perspective of a different character, 11 chapters in all. For a while, I was getting characters mixed up, and couldn't remember each persons' perspective. But what I love about this book is how it proves that you may think you know a story, but until you see all the perspectives surrounding it, you can't truly know what the real story is.

Well, now I'm starting I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, which so far I swear is the memoirs of Barney Stenson from How I Met Your Mother. I'll let you know how that one goes!

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment