Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ah the suspense...

So I just finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins for book club.
Let me tell you:

It.
Was.
amazing.

Yes, so amazing I bolded it and made it the biggest font possible.

But seriously... If you haven't read this book yet... Go do it. NOW.

Here's my only dilemma:
I finished the book at approximately 2:05. I have to leave for work at 4:35. The next book for book club is supposed to come in the mail tomorrow. Should I go to KBB (Katy Budget Books) and get the next Hunger Games: Catching Fire, or should I wait to finish the series until after I've finished all my stuff for book club?

The ending really didn't leave you hanging that badly, it was mostly the cliff-hangers at the end of chapters that got me, so I guess I can wait until all is said and done. But I hate not having anything to read, and I don't own much that I think I could finish before the FedEx truck comes tomorrow...

So for now, I'll tell you how amazing The Hunger Games is.

Well, I already told you about the cliff-hangers. It literally makes the book IMPOSSIBLE to put down. The only time I put mine down was
  • When I went to school
  • When I went to work
  • When I went to sleep
And even then I kept it with me at all times in case I had time to read (in some cases I did).

Before reading it, I honestly had no clue what it was about, but had heard from many people it was amazing, now I know why.

Basically, its about this futuristic society (kind of like those in The Giver, Anthem, and Gathering Blue) where the government controls pretty much your every move. In the society, the government puts on a competition every year called The Hunger Games as a reminder as to what might happen if you try to revolt. In a nutshell, each district (kind of like states) in the country sends 2 "tributes", one boy and one girl, who go into the games and fight until their death in front of the whole nation on live television.

The idea as a whole is a little repulsive, but overall I loved the book. Suzanne Collins' writing is phenomenal and she does a great job of capturing the different emotions the characters face. It even made me cry a few times, I will admit.

The best part about this book:
It's going to be a movie next year! WOOOOO! :D

So anyways... that's all for today. Hopefully the next book, Party comes in tomorrow!

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment