Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Big Seven-Five

It's Tuesday night, so I have two killer movies for y'all to watch. And I highly recommend both of these. And as an added bonus, one was in "The Book" which makes a whopping 75 movies that I have seen from "The Book". I think this is quite a milestone! *Insert celebratory dance*

First movie of the night is Buster Keaton's The Scarecrow. This movie was absolutely magnificent and had everyone laughing the entire 19 minutes. Keaton's style is similar to that of Charlie Chaplin. Personally,I  love them both! In The Scarecrow, Keaton and his roommate have fallen in love with the neighbor farm girl and are both vying for her attention and hand in marriage. However, her dad (played by Keaton's actual father) doesn't like either one. So the movie turns into this giant comedic chase to prevent either from getting her hand in marriage, but in the end, Keaton succeeds. (4 Stars)

The second, and final movie, is Sergei M. Eisenstein's Bronenosets Potyomkin [Battleship Potemkin]. Battleship is a visionary Soviet film that was meant to be a commemoration of the uprising of 1905, which led to the Bolshevik Revolution in Soviet Russia. Normally, I'm not a fan of these particular types of movies, but I really enjoyed this one. My film class has really changed (and improved) my outlook on these foreign classics, because I get to really understand more of a back story to these films, and what makes them so important to their time. For example, Battleship is considered a Political Montage which was very popular in both the USSR and France during the 1920s. This film is about the uprising f soldiers on the Battleship Potemkin and the reaction of the civilians in the nearby town. It has a very poetic, artistic style to it. For instance, the first soldier to call out for rebellion was the first of many to die, and his death was the symbol that started the uprising in the civilian people. I honestly would love to see a modern remake of this film, I think it would be really cool! This is definitely a classic that everyone should see. (3 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment