Monday, January 7, 2013

Under the Radar

Man, I love breaks. They give me so much time to catch up on all my TV shows, and of course, go and see a lot of movies, which I have.

I've got two more movies for y'all to check out, both of which I was pleasantly surprised with: Jack Reacher and Silver Linings Playbook.

I'll start with action packed Jack Reacher. This movie is about a man who is accused of murdering five random people and he calls in ex-army police officer Jack Reacher (Tom Cruise). Reacher works with the man's attorney, Helen (Rosamund Pike) who is the daughter of the DA (Richard Jenkins) that is trying to put the murderer on the deathbed. Helen and Jack are trying to find a way to stop the DA from killing the man, rather they would like to put him in prison. Of course there's a bit more to the murder than what meets the eye. I really enjoyed this movie because it really makes you think, and those are some of my favorite kinds of movies. I was sitting there trying to figure the murder out along with Jack and Helen. I would definitely recommend seeing this if you have the time.

What happens when you stick a bunch of characters with mental illnesses in one movie? Silver Linings Playbook. These characters were all borderline crazy. First you have Pat (Bradley Cooper) who brutally beat the man who his wife was cheating with. He has just been let out of the mental hospital and has just learned that he is bipolar. His father, Pat Sr. (Robert DeNiro) has extreme OCD and a gambling addiction. Pat soon meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who is depressed and a used-to-be slut who is a recent widow. Pat and Tiffany soon become close friends and Tiffany agrees to help Pat try and win his wife back if Pat will be her partner in an upcoming dance competition. I found this movie to be extremely hilarious, even though I was expecting it to be a bit depressing (don't worry, it had some of those moments too), but overall the story was very well executed. I really liked that it was different from the typical story usually told and I think the acting in this movie was superb. Rumor has it, Jennifer Lawrence might snag her first Oscar win with this role, and I think it's a good possibility. Warning, this movie has a LOT of vulgarity - we're talking an f-bomb dropped every few seconds almost. However, I think this a movie everyone should see at least once, but not something you should necessarily buy to keep watching over and over.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment