Wednesday, December 3, 2014

3rd Annual NetfliXmas

Welcome to the 3rd Annual NetfliXmas!

On a side note - it has been so long since I got on here, that I forgot my passowrd, and pretty much everything on this website has changed... Oops. I'll get better about posting on here, that is my New Year's Resolution for 2015!

Alright, so onto NetfliXmas.

"What is NetfliXmas?" you ask. Well, I have the answer.

I am obsessed with Christmas movies. I have seen some good, some bad, and some pretty darn ugly ones. But, I still can't get enough. So for the past two years, this year being the third, thus, 3rd annual, I embark on a quest to watch a whole lot of Christmas movies. 

Here are the rules:
1) First, I add every Christmas movie I can find on Netflix to "My List".
2) If I have already seen the movie, it does not get added to "My List".
3) I pick a Christmas movie using a random number generator.
4) I watch the movie in its entirety, no matter how bad it is.
    - Let me remind you that I have seen some pretty terrible Christmas movies in the years past.
5) I rate the movie on Netflix using their 5 star system.
    - Please see the sidebar for reference to how I rate each movie.
6) I get on blogger and write a short little blurb about each Christmas movie I watch and share my rating.
7) You read the blog post and decide if there is a new Christmas movie out there for you to watch!

OK - sounds fun, right? Good, because I've watched a handful of movies over the past few days and now I am going to share them with you!

Christmas Crush
This movie was originally a Lifetime movie that has now been added to Netflix. I dont know about you, but I love cheesy Lifetime movies. This was no exception! This movie was about a girl who has come back to her home town for Christmas and for her 10-year high school reunion. Even though she was voted Most Likely to Succeed in high school, her career has gone virtually no where and she doesn't have a college degree. Her only hope is to get back together with her old high school boyfriend, who she dumped at prom before running off to college. 

Added Bonus: This movie stars Jonathan Bennett, AKA Aaron Samuels from Mean Girls
Overall Rating: 4 stars

Hercules Saves Christmas
Talk about a strange movie. The concept of the movie at first seems cute, but the plot wraps itself up within ten minutes. Then, another challenge is presented, which again is wrapped up in ten minutes. Finally, the real problem is made apparent. The movie appears at first to be the story of a dog who saves a little orphan boy from being on the naughty list. Then, it seems like the movie is actually about saving a grumpy old man from losing the spirit of Christmas. But actually the movie is about an evil elf that wants to steal Hercules, the dog who creates the naughty and nice list, and it is up to the orphan and old man to save Hercules. So my question is, how is it that HURCULES saves Christmas, when he is the one who has to be saved? I wouldn't waste your time watching this.

Added Bonus: The mom from Double Teamed plays the evil elf's henchwoman.
Overall Rating: 2 Stars

Saving Santa
I would be lying if I said I thought I would like this movie. I had some pretty low expectations going into it. Everyone knows the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover," but we would all be lying if we said we never did. And I did. The cover of this movie looked plain stupid, not to mention the bad animation. But, I gave the movie a chance and it actually wasn't half bad. The movie had some promise once it started. An evil dude wants to kidnap Santa to figure out how he travels the world in one night, so he can use the same technology in his shipping business. It is up to one elf, Bernard, to save the day. I don't want to ruin Santa's secret, but let's just say its pretty cool, and creates a bit of a Groundhog Day effect to the movie's plot. It's biggest downfall was when they felt the need to add in a big music scene.

Added Bonus: All-Star Cast! Ashley Tisdale (AKA Sharpay in High School Musical and Maddie in Suite Life), Tim Curry (Rocky Horror Picture Show), and Martin Freemen (The Hobbit and Sherlock)!
Overall Rating: 3 Stars

All American Christmas Carol
If you have never heard of The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens then you need to get in your car and drive to you local bookstore right now to educate yourself. For everyone else, this movie may seem a bit familiar. At first, the parallels aree hard to see, aside from the ghosts of present, past, and future. But, a closer look and you will find Tiny Tim, Scrooge, and Marley in unexpected characters. Set in modern day America, this story is far from "All American". This film should have been titled White Trash Christmas Carol. A mom, who is on the verge of losing her children to CPS must make a change in her life, with a little help from some familiar ghosts. Yet, at the end of the movie, i still have one question: did she get to keep her kids? I guess I will never know.

Added Bonus: Stars one of the characters from Orange is the New Black (but don't ask me which one) and Rita from Bridesmaids
Overall Rating: 3 Stars

Call Me Claus
The world is ending and it's all Santa's fault. That is, unless he finds a replacement Santa in four weeks. Every 200 years, a new Santa must take over, or the world will end, and the current Santa has only one option left. The only problem, Lucy Cullins hates Chrismtas. Santa has to do everything he possibly can to get Lucy to become the next Santa and reinforce her lost love for Christmas. Honestly, cute idea in theory, but I really did not like this movie. Whoopie Goldberg plays Lucy, and frankly, she is brash and annoying. Also, why is Santa now a girl? Lucy's transformation from Christmas-hater to new Santa seemed rather abrupt to me as well.

Added Bonus: Whoopie Goldberg and Victor Garber. Plus, that great 90s movie feel to it.
Overall Rating: 2 Stars

Switchmas
Cheesy, but cute. Two kids swap places at an airport to go to each other's respective vacations. Jewish Ira wants nothing more to celebrate Christmas in a snowy paradise, and Mikey is tired of the snow, and would rather spend the week in Florida. So they switch and pretend to be each other. Has a bit of a Parent Trap feel, without the divorced parents. The movie's biggest flaw was the random animated numbers reflecting Ira's Christmas thoughts. However, worth the watch if you want a quirky Christmas movie.

Added Bonus: Dad from Wizards of Waverly Place
Overall Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment