Saturday, December 13, 2014

Two Turtle Doves

Yikes, there are only 12 more days until Christmas!

Well, my original plan was to have twelve posts before Christmas, but, I haven't been able to watch any Christmas movies for the last week because of finals... However, I will still try and post something every day until Christmas to live up to my promise.

Fortunately for all of you, but not so much for me, my last post never actually published... So I have about a weeks worth of movies that I reviewed, which never got posted! I will rewrite all of them, even though I haven't seen anything new since then! And hopefully I can watch at least one movie a day until Christmas!

The Fitzgerald Family Christmas
The Fitzgerald's are the definition of a dysfunctional family. I don't think a family can be any more dysfunctional than this one. All of the siblings have to come together for the holidays to decide if they will allow their dead-beat dad to come home for Christmas. This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the problems this family has. If you are looking for a dark Christmas movie, this is the one for you. 

Bonus: Connie Britton plays the love interest.
Rating: 2 Stars

Babes in Toyland
I highly enjoyed this movie, but I also love the 60s musical genre. I wouldn't really classify it as a Christmas movie, but Disney sure does think it is. Two young lovers must fight an evil man who has turned them into toys to prevent them from getting married. The word Christmas isn't even mentioned until an hour into the movie, and it is only briefly as the toy maker stressed about "not meeting the Christmas deadline". Despite its lack of Christmas charm, Babes in Toyland is a good, entertaining, family-friendly movie.

Bonus: Early technicolor - bright colors and crazy sets.
Rating: 3 stars

Christmas with the Kranks
I actually saw this movie when it first came out, but it had been so long I forgot what happened. It's a clever movie, but it's not the greatest. Christmas with the Kranks is one of those movies that you watch maybe once or twice, but not something you would watch every year. Tim Allen and Jamie ale acurtis are two of my favorite actors, but this is not their best work. But, if you want a quick laugh and something new to watch, this will do in a fix.

Bonus: Tim Allen and JLC
Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

Small Town Santa
Don't watch this movie. There are so many better choices out there for you to watch, this is not one of them. A grumpy police officer tried to arrest Santa and has nothing on his mind but himself and falling in love. Santa knows this, but helps him anyways. Happy ending (SPOILER), he gets the girl, but he never really gets the true Christmas spirit.

Bonus: ummmmmm
Rating: 2 Stars

Holidaze
Go watch this movie right now. It's not a Christmas Classic by any means, but this is one of the best Christmas movies I have seen on Netflix to date. I cannot merely describe the movie to do it justice, but if you need a new movie to watch this Christmas, it should be this one.

Bonus: JENNIE GARTH ❤️
Rating: 4 Stars

Scrooged
This is by far the moste bizarre, the most insane, the most ridiculous version of A Christmas Carol I have ever seen. "Scrooge" is a TV producer who is producing a TV special based on... You guessed it, A Christmas Carol. I was not expecting this movie to be so weird, so I was a bit disappointed. I will admit, it was an interesting concept for an adaptation and I haven't quite seen anything like it.

Bonus: Bill Murray is Scrooge
Rating: 3 Stars

I Am Santa Claus
I will never look at a mall Santa the same way again. This documentary followed the lives of five different Santa Clauses, ranging from a gay Santa, a professional wrestler, a sex addict, and real bearded Santa, and a completely normal Santa. It was an interesting look at what Santas are like in real life.

Bonus: SANTAAAAAAA!
Rating: 3 Stars

Alpha and Omega: Howl-iday Adventure
This is nothing "howl-iday" about this adventure. Runt, a wolf, gets lost while exploring with his two siblings. The whole wolf family goes out in search of Runt, before it is too late. This is actually the second Alpha and Omega movie, but I have not seen the first. The movie ends with apthe family around a Christmas tree, so obviously that makes this a Christmas movie.

Bonus: Ashley Tisdale and Martin Freeman provide two of the voices.
Rating: 2 Stars

The Muppet Christmas Carol
I'm pretty sure I watched this movie sometime growing up, or the entir movie was a strong bit of déjà- vu. Either way, I've seen it in its entirety now. This is probably one of the most accurate adaptations of A Chrsitmas Carol I have seen, well, except that this one has puppets in it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of The a muppets, which I why this gets a less than stellar rating. I know I am in the minority here, because for some reason, people LOVE the muppets. Sorry, I'm just not a fan!

Bonus: Micahel Caine as Scrooge
Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

The Heart of Christmas
This movie was so good. I loved it. I hated it too. This movie is disguised as a happy-go-lucky Christmas movie, but is actually a sad, sappy cancer movie. Dax is a little boy who has cancer and probably won't live to see another Christmas, so his parents decide to have Christmas in October for him. Grab a box of tissues, you'll need them.

Bonus: Candace Cameron-Burre!
Rating: 4 Stars

That's all I have for now! Hopefully I'll be able to watch some more soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment