Friday, December 5, 2014

A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the first day of NetfliXmas, my true love gave to me....
Way too many movies to watch!

I know that technically this is my second NetfliXmas post, but for the purpose of my clever song, this is officially the first day of NetfliXmas. Which means there are at least 11 more posts to come!

The Nightmare Before Christmas
I am ashamed to admit that I have never watched this movie until today. I'm pretty sure that I am one of the last people on earth to see this movie. Everyone has always highly recommended it, but it always just looked pretty creepy, and not like a Christmas movie at all. Now, for the great debate: is The Nightmare Before Christmas actually a Christmas movie? Or is it a Halloween movie? I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this debate quite yet, but I will agree that is has several elements of both holidays. Don't be like me and wait until a quarter of your life is over before watching this movie. Christmas or Halloween, it is a good, clever movie.

Bonus: Catherine O'Hara aka Mom from Home Alone, a Christmas Classic
Rating: 4 Stars

All I Want for Christmas (2007)
Yet another instance where I strongly recommend not judging a book by its cover. I actually really, really liked this movie. Don't be fooled, there are TWO "All I Want for Christmas" movies on Netflix. This is not the movie were Santa is hanging upside-down on the cover - I haven't watched that version yet. This movie is about a widowed mom and her son. The mom is about to lose her business and is trying to raise the money to keep the community center open. The son, on the other hand, enters a contest through a toy company to get his perfect Christmas gift, which is for his mom to find a husband. It has it's cheesy moments, but it's a super cute movie about a single mom's journey to finding love once more.

Bonus: The main character looks like Heather Locklear, but alas, she is not.
Rating: 4 Stars

12 Christmas Wishes for My Dog
Watch this movie. It literally has nothing to do with a dog. Don't ask me why the title has to do with a dog, because the 12 Christmas wishes are definitely NOT for her dog. In this movie, Laura leads a crazy, sad life, and wants to turn her life around. This is where the 12 wishes come in, except she uses them for all the wrong reasons. So Laura must turn her life around on her own, and possibly find love in the process. Corny, cute, and it has a lot of Christian undertones which is a HUGE added bonus in my opinion.

Bonus: Andrea from Beverly Hills 90210 and the ginger from Clueless (sorry I don't know her name off the top of my head, but I'm sure y'all know who I'm talking about). 
Rating: 4 Stars

Chrismtas on Salvation Street
Meh, I really wasn't a big fan of this one. Honestly, I found it really hard to pay attention. The general grasp I got from what I did watch, however, is that a widowed preacher and his family move to a low-economy area that has problems with gang violence. The preacher tries to help the community and members of the gang see what a true Christian, loving family is, while showing them the true meaning of Christmas and God's eternal love. I love the overall message the movie sends, but the on-screen play of it was just slow and did a poor job of keeping the attention of the audience, aka me.

Bonus: Drawing a blank on this one, to be honest
Rating: 2 Stars

Christmas Bounty
This is a Christmas movie in the same regards that Die Hard is; the movie is set during the week prior to Christmas, but aside from the setting, it has absolutely no connections to Christmas. This, however, does not mean I didn't enjoy the movie. I just wanted to put that up front. Christmas Bounty is about a teacher who goes home for the holidays and tries to hide her family business and true self from her boyfriend. Tory Bell and her family are bounty hunters. A man who Tory had put behind bars has escaped from prison, and she must once again catch him and some of his fellow cronies. Also, get ready for a not so surprise ending.

Bonus: ABC Family movies are daaaa bessssssst.
Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

One Magic Christmas
Disney can do no wrong, right? Wrong. Disney pulls a Disney and has to give you all the feels within the first ten minutes, making the family poor and killing the father. Now the widowed mother has no Christmas Spirit and her two kids must help her find it, with the help of a Christmas Angel, Giddeon, in order to save Christmas and the family. The overall, general concept is good, but Disney has to play with our heart strings and force us on an emotional roller coaster.

Bonus: It didn't make me cry, just squeezed my heart to a pulp.
Rating: 2 1/2 Stars

Snow Day
Oops, this is definitely not a Christmas movie. However.... I would go so far to consider it a winter movie. During a snow day, a brother and a sister embark on two different quests. The brother journeys to capture the heart of his school crush, while the sister tries to sabotage the snow plow so the school will have two snow days in a row for the first time ever. Even though it wasn't a Christmas movie persay... I really enjoyed it!

Bonus: It's a Nickelodeon movie from the 90's. 
Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment