Saturday, February 12, 2011

Danger Zone

I must admit I was very curious as to whether The Lord of the Rings counted as 1 or 3 movies, because it was listed as one in "the book". So this morning, I decided to count each title including Lord of the Rings to see how many I got. I was very pleased to find out that The Lord of the Rings counted as 3 movies, so I had seen 56, not 54, movies!

Add to that today's full-length feature and I'm up to a whopping 57 movies! WOO!

Now let me ask you a question, what movie features the hit song Danger Zone, has a cast full of megastars, and was released in 1986?
That's right, it's Top Gun, starring Tom Cruise.

Now I've never written a movie review before, so we'll see how this goes, and I will do my best not to give anything away for those of you who haven't seen it.

Now according to Netflix standards, I would give this movie 4 stars out of 5, which would mean I "really liked it". I found this movie highly enjoyable, and would watch it again if I ever happened to pass it by flipping channels. At the same time, I'm not jumping for joy into my car to go buy it right this second.

This movie had a little bit of every thing in it. There was some action, suspense, comedy, romance, drama, you name it. The movie is centered around the life of Maverick, Tom Cruise, a navy aviator as he attends a school called Top Gun for the elite pilots of the world.

The flight scenes were beyond cool. I could never imagine being able to fly around in circles up in clouds and still know where I'm going, let alone be able to shoot down other aircrafts.

The first-rate cast included Tom Cruise as the rebellious, yet instinctive pilot Maverick, Val Kimmer as ace pilot Iceman, Anthony Hopkins (with hair!) as Mavericks right-hand man Goose, and Kelly McGillis, the poster girl for Top Gun and every teenage boys dream in the 80s.

The chemistry the cast had together was incredible which made the movie that much more enjoyable. Overall, it made me laugh, and it made me cry. It's spot in "the book" is well deserved.

I even learned a few things while watching this movie.
-Aviators (the sunglasses) were designed for pilots so they could see while flying. Now when I wear my aviators, I'll imagine myself flying along-side Maverick and the gang.
-Meg Ryan was in Top Gun! See had a smaller part, but was her bubbly self as usual.
-The term wing-man also originated from Aviators. A wingman is the pilot who is positioned outside and behind the lead pilot. But in a way, I can see why our "wingman" helps us get a date. In a way, pilot wingmen are the right-hand man.
-Danger Zone was sung by the same guy who did Footloose, Kenny Loggins! That guy makes great movie songs.
-Top Gun has possibly THE BEST movie soundtrack ever.

So 57 down, 944 more to go!
Until next time... "Ride Into the Danger Zone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment