Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Votes for Women

Did I make you wait long enough, or should I make you wait longer?
I guess I might as well tell you now....

Well... since I have nothing better to do. (:

Forthose of you who went to Rosas's extra credit I hope you enjoyed the movie, because I surely did. Those of you who did not/could not, missed a very empowering movie.

Iron Jawed Angels, set in the early 1900s, based on a true story, focuses around the lives of a group of women fighting for the Women's Suffrage movement.

This movie empowered me as a woman, and shows all the guys out there what women really have to go through to recieve the same rights as them.

This movie would have been nothing without a cast full of strong, powerful women, including Hilary Swank, who plays the leader Alice Paul, Frances O'Connor, playing Lucy Burns (Alice's right hand [wo]man), Brooke Smith, Laura Fraser, Vera Farmiga, Molly Parker, and Julia Ormond.

These wonderful actresses portrayed the struggles of Women's Suffrage so well on the screen; it almost made me wish I had been there rallying with them on the President's doorstep.

Even Patrick Dempsey played his part in Women's Suffrage, although I didn't feel he fit nearly as well in the era as the women did.

I think this movie is able to appeal to our generation not only because of the strong message it sends, but also because the filming technique and music played throughout were very modern. So, even though you are transported into 1918, there are still traces of the 2000s in this film.

For those who haven't seen this movie, I strongly suggest it. Not only is it entertaining, but you get a little history lesson as well. As I said before, I really liked it, but I didn't quite "love it" so I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment