Friday, April 1, 2011

Come What May

Well, as I promised, I have a review for Moulin Rouge!

First of all, before reading this - in attempts not to offend anyone - remember that each person has varying tastes in movies, and this is solely my opinion. Also, I'm not holding anything back in these reviews, and I may tend to spoil a thing or two, and if I do, I am terribly sorry.

Now back to Paris, to join the stunning Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, both phenomenal actors.

I want to start off by saying, I do not like movies with a sad ending. Period. That is it. Sad endings ruin the whole movie. If you haven't already guessed it, I get really into movies, especially romances.

Thus the self-proclaimed hopeless romantic.

When I watch a romance, I am the girl. I'm falling in love with the guy, just as the character does on screen.

With Moulin Rouge! it was much the same. I already think Ewan McGregor is beyond gorgeous. Add in that accent and belt out those notes and I'm head over heels. The way his character, Christian, pines time and time again to win over Satine's (Kidman) heart - well, all I can say is that really gets the soft spot in my heart.

Aside from the romantic storyline, I really did not like Moulin Rouge! I know this is against popular opinion, especially since it somehow made it into "the book", but I just don't see it.

When I first started watching it, I got a headache. I felt like I was doing every drug under the sun while watching it. People say watching Alice In Wonderland is like being on an acid trip, but the actual filming isn't nearly as dizzying an experience as that of Moulin Rouge!

Strike two was their rendition of Like A Virgin by Madonna. That just plain pissed me off. It was so wierd and out of place and wierd and awful and wierd and annoying. Way to ruin a good song.

They used a lot of modern songs, even though the movie was set in the late 1800s. Sound of Music was set in the Alps, not Paris. I think of all the songs in the movie, there was maybe 1 I really trully enjoyed.

And strike 3 (SPOILER ALERT) was killing off Satine!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH! First, she lies to Christian, the LOVE OF HER LIFE, just to be in a stupid play, even though she KNOWS she is dying. I'm sorry, I must be wierd, but if knew I was dying, forget the play, I want to be with the one person in the world that trully gets me and loves me for who I am, sick or not. Then Christian, being the smart romantic he is, comes back. Thankfully she takes him back, and then dies in his arms not even 2 minutes later. That right there totally killed the movie for me.

I would personally give it 2 and 1/2 stars, but it is a movie I will have to watch again one of these days, although I doubt my opinion will change much.

On a not much better note, I was just browsing through Netflix and this strange movie caught my eye. It was called Summer's Moon and the lettering was in the same font as Twilight.

My first thought was, "Seriously, a Twilight parody. Aren't there enough of those?"

Then it got better. The main character is played by Ashley Greene who plays Alice in Twilight.

The synopsis said it was about a girl, going to live with her father, who winds up living with a group of serial killers.

Vampires.... Serial Killers.... I'm starting to see a connection. So I decided to watch the movie.

WORST. IDEA. EVER.

I don't even think I got 30 minutes into the movie. Every other word was the F-bomb, and it was so incredibly cheesy I just couldn't stand it.

Ashley Greene is one of my favorite actresses, but her acting in that movie is probably worse than Kristen Stewart's in Twiilight - and everyone knows that's saying something.

Well, that's about all I have to say for now, but I will have a new review for you in the morning. I'm taking my mom to the movies tonight as a little birthday treat. We are trying to decide between The King's Speech and Red Riding Hood. I'll let you know what we choose tomorrow!

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment