Friday, April 29, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Today is a great day! The Royal Wedding was this morning; I am insanely jealous of Kate Middleton (only because she is a princess, not because she's marrying William). She is so pretty, and envied by millions right now.

And to add to my great day, Uncle Tony, Aunt Debra, and Courtney are coming to visit us this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't seen Courtney in 2 years, and I haven't seen my uncle and aunt for at least a year. I can't wait to spend the weekend with them.

While I wait for them to get here, I decided to blog. (:

After I posted my last reviews, I realised that I forgot a couple of reviews, and on top of that, I just finished a book today, so I have another review for that too!

First I'll start with the movie reviews. Of those, I have two: Hoodwinked (2 1/2 *) and The Conspirator (2 1/2 *).

So in other words, both movies were just so-so.

First I'll start with The Conspirator. I heard about this movie through my history teacher. It is a movie about the events and the "conspiracy" surrounding President Abraham Lincoln's death, but told in a way that most have never heard before. I had never heard this story either, and Lincoln is by far my favorite president (when I was little I called him Abra-Lincoln Ham).

Basically, the whole movie surrounded the case of Mary Surratt, and alleged conspirator. In actuality, she was innocent, but because the government could not locate her son, the blame was thrown on her shoulders. The movie showed how corrupt the government is. The evidence that Mary Surratt was innocent was substantial, and she was proven not guilty, but a couple of government officials overruled the verdict.

In the end, a good lesson is learned, and as I've been told, unless we learn from the mistakes of our past, history is bound to repeat itself.

Hoodwinked was one of those movies, that, the first time I watched it, I hated it, but it didn't seem as bad the second time I watched it. We watched it in my Creative Writing class, because we are about to write fractured fairy tales, which are similar to the Hoodwinked storyline.

Hoodwinked has a cute story. It's the story of Little Red Riding Hood, but it is told in the views of the various characters, and shows what lead up to the incident. The whole movie revolves around an alleged "goodie bandit" which is said to be connected to the incident with Little Red and the wolf. The end of the movie left it to where the story could easily be picked up and made into another movie. Hoodwinked too! came out this weekend, ironically.

My biggest complaint of this movie was the graphics, they were awful. The animations were very outdated, which bugged me.

And thus concludes my movie reviews for now. I am hoping to see two movies sometime soon though, both of which I have the reviews for their books.

The first of these, I read quite a while back, but forgot to tell you HOW MUCH I LOVED IT!

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen was fantastic, 5 stars at worst. It is unlike any book I have read before.

Well, in some ways...

he structure of the book reminded me of The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks. Water for Elephants was a story told through the eyes of "ninety or nintey-three" year old Jacob (played by Robert Pattinson) as he recalls the life he lived in a circus, and falling in love with the beautiful, off-limits, Marlena (Reese Witherspoon).

I think the movie was cast wonderfully and I cannot wait to see how well the movie matches up to my imagination. If you're looking for a quick, entertaining read, Water for Elephants should go to the top of your list.

Now, if you're looking for a book that is a slow, but rewarding read - one that is hard to get into, but once you finish, not only do you feel accomplised, but the story develpos so soundly you understand the beauty of literature - then I suggest Jane Eyre, which I give 4 stars.

This book took me a good two weeks plus to read, but when I finished it today, I understood why it is considered a classic. How Charlotte Bronte (I'm not sure how to make the funky e character) could even come up with such a story, I don't know. Many say the story of Jane Eyre is based on Miss Bronte's own life.

All in all, the story is about love, loss, forgiveness, and overcoming challenges and fears. Miss Bronte uses the elements of literature to make you laugh, cry, sympathise, hate, and love.

Hopefully, Jane Eyre is still in theaters, so I can go see it soon.

Now, for a little special treat.

For those of you who do not know, I love to write sonnets, they are just so much fun. If you don't mind, I would like to share one I wrote last year with you. It is called A Sonnet For Morgan (because of her shared love of Harry Potter).

Who is that magical man that you love
With perfectly round glasses on his face
Inside his hat you might find a white dove
Hogwarts is his home, let's visit this place.

There's so many spells he has to know
So he can defeat might Voldemort.
Even he takes a break, to play in snow
Where he will find a big frog with a wart.

This wizard holds the world's fate in his hands
Everyone hopes he won't be defeated
He must recover the Dark from the lands
But the teachers keep him in class seated

Who is this mystery man you wonder?
But the one and only Harry Potter!

Well, it's not my best, but it still brings a smile to my face, what do you think?

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment