Saturday, April 2, 2011

Your Royal Highness

I often wonder, why is it people say TGIF - Thank God It's Friday? Yes, Friday does mean the start of the weekend, but you still have to go to school or work. I say TGIS - Thank God it's Saturday. I get to sleep in late (most of the time) and watch movies or read all day, for the most part anyways.

But I will admit, yesterday was definitely a day I said TGIF. Friday could not have come sooner, and I had a GREAT Friday.

Today's theme is Royalty.

Why, you ask? Well here is why: I have watched two movies, both about a royal family.

The first of these movies was Academy Award Winner, The King's Speech, and that movie, my friends, has left me speechless.

What amazes me most about this movie is how long it has been in the theaters! And the movie comes out on BluRay and DVD this month!

There is no doubt in my mind it would have made it into "the book" and that it deserves 5 stars.

There is no secret that I love Brits. I love them, I don't know why, but they infatuate me. English history especially.

For those of you unfortunate few yet to have seen this, let me tell you how amazing it truly is.

The three leads included Collin Firth, who played the stammering King George VI, Geoffrey Rush, the king's speech therapist, Lionel Logue, and Helena Bonham Carter, Queen Elizabeth.

For those of you who don't know the background story, I will start with that first.

The Duke of York (later to become King George VI) has a problem with speech; he stammers. After going to many different therapists, his wife comes upon a little known therapist, Lionel Logue. Logue helps The duke, through his father's death and brother resigning the throne. When The Duke of York, "Bertie", claims the throne, Hitler is threatening England's safety. King George VI declares war and must help England through the hard times ahead. The movie leads up to one final speech, King George VI's first wartime speech, finally overcoming every difficulty placed before him.

The story itself is amazing all in it's own, but each individual character is what made the movie impeccable.

First I will start with Collin Firth. How he did it, I cannot even fathom. He plays King George VI so well, I would swear he is the king reincarnated. You can see the fear etched in his face, seething from every pore when he stands before the world to give a speech. You can feel his heartbreak when his father dies and he must assume the role of the king. You can see the love he has for his wife and children, and disappointment in himself, thinking he is not good enough. He is able to stutter so well, choking on his words, I can't imagine how difficult it was to talk like that. Just an outstanding performance.

What to say about Helena Bonham Carter... What to say? First of all, I adore her. She is such a phenomenal actress; I am insanely jealous. Most people know her as the sinister Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter films or the wife of Tim Burton. If I were to pick someone for the role of Queen Elizabeth, my very last choice would be Carter. I couldn't ever imagine her in a part like this. But let me tell you, she had me convinced. It is amazing how she can become the Queen so easily, how she can portray the everlasting love the queen had for King George, and the compassion she had for the people of England. The queen and Bellatrix are polar opposites, but she did such an amazing job. I respect her in every way, and I hope one day to meet her, she is such an extrodinary actress.

And oh, Geoffrey Rush. Who would have thought the King could become friends with a lowly common man from Australia? Who would have thought this same man could help the king overcome his speech impediment? Logue had balls in this movie. Backtalking a king, convincing a king to cuss against his upbringing, meddling in the King's personal life. Here's to you. Rush protrayed this character so beautifully, showing the immense guts it took to help the king.

Man I loved that movie. it makes me excited for European history next year.

Ironically, this movie overlaps with Julie Andrews memoirs. Andrew mentions the King and Queen and some of the events from the movie many times in her book. It was cool seeing it portrayed on screen, and in the memory of a young girl.

I want to go to England now.

As for the other royal movie, I started to watch Ivan the Terrible Part I this morning, but was unable to finish it. This is another one that made "the book". On IMDb.com I was reading the fun facts about this movie and I ran across something quite funny. Ivan the Terrible also made it into another book called The 50 Worst Movies of all-time. A little contradicting... Only proves my point further that everyone has different opinions.

Advice of the Day: Don't play Just Dance right after eating cheesecake.

I hope to have some new reviews tomorrow, Megan and Madison are coming over to watch movies and eat pizza tonight! I also hope to finish my book today!

Until Next Time!

3 comments: