Sunday, March 4, 2012

Movies Are This Girl's Best Friend

So... Can I just say, I've been a bit of an over-achiever this week...
I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that I've posted at least four posts in the past week alone?

NEW RECORD!

And I also watched another movie from the book.
That's right. I only have 934 more movies to watch! BOOYAH.

Now, before I get too far ahead of myself, let me start by breaking some pretty depressing news to you guys.
I was at the bookstore the other day, and I saw this book. It's called 1001 Movies you must see before you die.

Big deal right, I already have it and am currently on the quest to watch all 1001 movies.
IT'S A NEWER EDITION.

So pissed. So pissed.

So here's my plan. I watch all 1001 movies in MY edition, and then I go buy the latest edition when I'm done and watch the new movies, that way, I won't be constantly updating my movie list. This just seemed WAYY easier.

OK - now for my latest and greatest movie, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, a Marilyn Classic.
No - not Marilyn Manson you dummies, but Marilyn Monroe.

Would you believe that this is the first Marilyn movie I'd ever seen. I couldn't believe it myself. She is such an icon for film and music, I'm surprised it took me so long. Part of the reason I chose this movie was because of that new show, Smash. It's pretty awesome and it's about a play about the life of Marilyn Monroe. So I love this show, but realized I'd never seen one of her movies. So today, I watched one. And I really liked it!

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is the story of two friends who go to Paris. While on the ship to Paris, the blonde, Lorelei Lee (Marilyn's character) is stalked by a detective hired by Lee's fiance's father, who disapproves of their relationship. And along the way, the detective falls in love with Lee's friend Dorothy (who is played by the stunning Jane Russell). It's a really interesting story, even though it was a bit predictable.

The title is a bit ironic however, since the detective falls for the brunette. At least, that's my opinion. I love this movie for the music, the actresses and actors, and of course the era. I swear, the 50s is one of my favorite era's in film, clothing, and music. There's some romantic charm about it that I can't resist. I was singing along to every song, and I really want to watch the movie over and over again.

The movie's most famous song is "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend", and although I may not agree with that statement, I do agree that Russell and Monroe teamed together in this movie was a perfect fit, and it's definitely a movie worthy of it's title to see before you die.

I look forward to watching more golden classics like this, and seeing much more of the icon and star that we call Marilyn.

Peace Out Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment