Monday, July 16, 2012

Woody's Latest

It's pretty well known that one of my favorite movies is Midnight In Paris. I absolutely LOVED that movie. I never get sick of it. Ever.

Ever since I saw that movie I started getting into Woody Allen's other films. Granted, I haven't seen many, but there is some quality of his movies that I seem to love. Aside from MIP, I haven't seen one of his movies I just absolutely adore, but there is something about them that makes me want to watch more, even if I don't enjoy the storyline, or some other aspect.

Every year, Woody Allen directs a new movie, this year was no exception. His latest is called To Rome With Love, starring Woody himself, and other greats such as Penelope Cruz, Alec Baldwin, Ellen Page, Jesse Eisenburg and many other familiar faces, along with a slew of new ones.

When I first saw the commercials I was so excited and I couldn't wait to go see it, but as I sat in the very empty, very cold movie theater, I wasn't really warming up to the movie itself.The movie, TRWL as I will shorten it, follows the path of many different groups of people, mainly couples, who either live, or vacation in Rome. There's the American girl who meets the Roman man and falls in love. Her parents who fly to Rome and are the complete opposite of his parents. Your average Roman middle class worker who becomes famous overnight. Two Roman newleyweds moving to Rome. A Roman prostitute with the wrong customer. The American students studying in Rome with a slight love triangle. And then there was Alec Baldwin's character, a famous architect vacationing in Rome but mainly just plays a part as the subconscious of different characters (it was really creepy and weird).

Honestly, TRWL had the makings of a really great chick-flicky romcom, but something went wrong in all the plots. Each plot had the potential to be really cute, but Woody would add some weird bizarre twist to it that would just be... Well... Weird. As my friend Megan put it during the credits, the movie was "interesting.....".

I can't really think of a great way to describe the movie. As I was telling Megan, many of the storylines would have been very cute and enjoyable, it they hadn't done this or that, which was actually quite disappointing. Maybe I just went into the movie with too high of hopes because it definitely was NOT what I was expecting to see.Who knows, perhaps one day I will watch it again and change my mind, my first judgement can be too harsh sometimes... I'm just saying, if I were the director/writer/producer, I would've changed aspects of the movie to make it less... Bizarre.

Peace Out Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment